Environmental Compliance / Stormwater Intern
Under general supervision, assists Environmental Management staff with planning, management, maintenance, and protection of the City’s stormwater assets.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Reviews plats and engineering plans to identify post-construction structural controls and enters the identified controls into a database.
2. Reviews existing maintenance agreements for applicability to known structural controls.
3. Organization and data entry of various stormwater compliance records, including but not limited to inspection records, sampling records, or various other technical data.
4. Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Skill in the use of standard PC-based programs, such as Word, Excel and Access.
- Skill in the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and GPS equipment.
- Skill in planning, organizing, and coordinating multiple assignments.
- Skill in reading and interpreting water quality data, reports, maps, maintenance agreements, plats, and specifications.
- Skill in communicating by verbal and written means with citizens, staff and other departments.
- Ability to work in indoor, outdoor and construction zone environments.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans.
- Ability to create clear, concise reports regarding stormwater issues.
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical skills including, but not limited to seeing, carrying, calculating and writing.
- Ability to operate a motorized vehicle.
Qualifying Education and Certifications:
1. Currently enrolled as a sophomore or higher in an Environmental Science, Engineering, Environmental Policy, Water Quality, Water Resources, or similar program at an accredited institution.
2. Possession of a valid Driver's License (min. Class C).
This position requires successful completion of criminal background check, motor vehicle record check and drug & alcohol testing.